Copyright

All Images are Copyright © Mick Wilson 2012. ALL Rights reserved.

Thursday 29 March 2012

Dance Like The Fire

Day 88



Day 88 - its a lucky day. The number 8 is a lucky number this decade, so 88 is a good number. This is a Chinese belief, and after a few years in Hong Kong one cannot come back to Oz and not still be effected buy the customs from China. You know, the mannerisms, the handing cards with two hands, and knowing 90% of the time when I pass a car with 88 or 888 in the plates it will be driven by a Chinese family :) I love a lot of the customs from China and Hong Kong, and I still follow a lot of them. A fascinating place. So our home is a mix of Indian, Chinese and the odd splattering of Aussie.

Today I am paying catch-up. I am trying to get some photos edited, as well as keep up to date with my P365/PAD. Today this idea popped into my head.. Methylated spirits and an old piece of black tile.

Fire has always fascinated me. I remember as a kid loving burning our rubbish. This was in the days when no one really cared how toxic plastic fumes were, and when we didn't have a rubbish disposal  service on the farm. We'd save the tins and nonburnable stuff and take it to the tip every 6 months, but paper and plastic was burned. I could spend ages watching the flames dance through the paper. There were other fires too, of course. The fire we used to heat the hot water, even in summer, as well as the bon-fires, barbeques and grass "burn-offs" we used to do. But the garbage fires were the ones I used to do alone, and just watch, and stoke if needed (yes, as red-necky as country bumpkins are, we used to make sure our fires didn't get away). Often the flames licking at the fuel were mesmerizing, often the fumes were sickening!!

I still love watching flames dance.

Today I resurrected my 350D. The autofocus has become too unreliable for moving objects (and paid gigs), but I am tired of carrying around my LowePro Stealth Reporter 650AW bag (phew, what a mouthful!). And I am sick of not being able to leave my gear in the car and just duck into the shops. The bag weighs 13kg most days. So I dusted off the 350D and stuck the EF 35mm f/2 lens on it. I will throw a couple of YN flashes and maybe my 420EX into a bag, and call it an everyday carry bag.

Canon 350D EF35mm f/2 at 1/400s f/3.2, iso 1600.



No comments:

Post a Comment