Copyright

All Images are Copyright © Mick Wilson 2012. ALL Rights reserved.

Wednesday 14 March 2012

When all else fails, RTFM..

Day 73



So... today was ma day orf. Ya know, the dayz wen ya doan ave ta go twerk but ya tew bizzy doin udder stuff ta reely corl it a day-orf? Ya, wunna dem.

But today, I taught my self to weld.

As you can see.

I went to Bunnings as I do on my day off, and bought a welder. El-Cheapo Ozito brand. Then I came home and did as we all do - googled read up on how good (or crap) our plunders are. And I learnt - not just from the internet, but the hard way, that El-Cheapo welders are El-Cheap for a reason. Only dumbass DIY weirdos buy them. Any one who knows how to weld will buy a real one.

Like everything else.

Cheap is for 90% of the population how have no idea what they are doing :)

Like me.

So here I am, oscillating between burning a hole in my steel tubes or not getting enough current to form an arc, when finally I seem to miraculously hit "welders zenith" and the whole shibang seems to actually work. It was just sublime. Then all of a sudden the machine stops buzzing and I am left looking (mouth agape, dumbly staring) at the welding rod for an answer. Then I finally turn to the machine - the little "overload" light is on. Ohh, ja. Like this machine will work for 2 minutes before it rests for 10 minutes. DIY super sh*t crapola El Cheapo welding machine. Like a public servant :)

Okies, it must be lunch time...

Finally I got some of my welding done (top secret project!) when I am invited for a few beers down the road. It was Sarva, who is always a lot of fun, and the added benefit being the kids could play. So we sit down for a drink, and before I know I have the best part of 3 shots of whisky (mighty fine stuff) in my glass. Which was continuously topped up, totalling about 8 shots I think. Finally we said our good-byes and trotted off home for the kids dinner. I then attempted to weld again, however for some weird reason the bits kept moving and the floor kept spinning. I figuired maybe it was the El Cheapo welder again, so I gave up.

YN460II at 6:00 low, 580EXII on board bounced to roof, using ETTL with -1 stop FEC. Star effect obviously added during photo editing

No comments:

Post a Comment