Copyright

All Images are Copyright © Mick Wilson 2012. ALL Rights reserved.

Thursday 8 March 2012

Luna-tic

Day 67




Uhuh. The moon. Amazing ja?

Well it is. And this was also a little lesson to myself. I was just pondering how to take a photo of the moon.. do I put the camera in Aperture priority and shoot, or P-Mode, or what? I hardly ever use anything but Manual mode these days..

Of course, P-mode and A-mode won't work. Well, at least with my lenses they won't - the moon is so small one the viewfinder that the metering will shoot for the black, not the whites of the moon. So the moon will be pure white and overblown.

Sunny-16 I thought. Sunny-16?? Uhuh. Well, the light from the moon is reflected form the sun, goes through our atmosphere, and hits us, therefore the light reflected from the moon alone should be theoretically the same intensity as it is here on a bright sunny day.

So I set my camera to f/16, iso 100, 1/100s. Then cos I was using a 200mm lens I changed the shutter to 1/400s, and opened the aperture to f/8 to make up (2 stops faster, 2 stops wider). Then because I knew Sunny 16 would make the moon a little grey, not white, I set the ISO to 200, for a stop more light. Viola. Cropped a bit to make the little spec of a moon a bit more interesting, some levels in PhotoShop.

Funny how a silly little rule they made up for film decades ago when cameras did not have meters, can still work for digital photos of the moon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment